Thursday, April 4, 2013

Sam's Journal

           We have been on this for so long, I don't even know what day it is anymore. I really miss mum and dad, but at least I have Eric. The other boys cry at night, I can hear them crying and screaming at night. They used to be cries for mum but now I think they are from nightmares.

         Ralph and Piggy keep telling us that the 'beastie' is not real but I am not really sure. The 'littluns' really think so and I am beginning to wonder so myself. I used to feel safe around Ralph but nowadays, I am not sure even Ralph is really sure of himself. At the beginning, Ralph would always say there is no beast but now it  is really just Piggy. Not that people really listen to him,  so he doesn't really count. Jack seems to think he can kill the beast. He says he knows where it is hiding, but no one really knows what the beast looks like. No one really listens to use and sometimes this is frustration. Jack always talks about hunting and Ralph keeps insisting on keeping the fire. Then there is Piggy, he just wines, it actually does get annoying after a while. The rest of the 'bigguns' don't really know what to do. The choir hunts, and the 'littluns' just play, but what about the rest of us?

         I thought it would be more fun on the island. More time to play and have fun, now that there are no adults to tell us what to do. I think it ma be worse here. There is nothing to do, no books, no games. At first we played on the beach and in the water. That was kept us entertained for awhile but now, we are all just tired and dirty. 

         Eric and I are tending the fire right now.We are suppose to take shifts as one of us sleeps while the other stays awake. It was Eric's turn to stay awake, but somehow, he still ended up as the one asleep. It is eerily quiet at night. I wonder whats is happening everywhere else on the island. I can hear the wind howling and sometimes I think I hear other noises, but I have no idea what they are. I really hope we get rescued soon. The fire is a good idea, but what if something happens and we are stuck on this island forever?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       Sam and his twin brother Eric are often known as Samneric, like one person,  because they do everything together. They were part of the older boys known as the 'bigguns' and they usually were the ones that were suppose to keep watch of the fire. If the fire went out, then it was their responsibility. Sam always seeks comfort in Eric and vice versa. They seem to need the moral support and the reason they supported Ralph was because they felt safe. Ralph was so sure that they would be rescued and he convinced the other boys so too. This provided them with a sense of security.

        When Jack began to gain power, this feeling of safeness is weakened. Sam and Eric did end up joining Jack's tribe even after Jack tortured them. It shows how most people will "cheer for the winning team". As soon as they no longer felt safe with Ralph, their support weakened.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, your writing was very good, and I can really see that you got into Sam's role while writing this. The thoughts really seemed to come out of Sam's head and on the paper. You jumped right into their lives, and waste much time explaining what certain terms meant, and who was who.

    However, your second and last paragraph seems to be quite jumbled and cut up. I know that is the way some books are written, and that journal entries from that book should also be this way, but then the whole entry should be like that. You could easily combine some sentences (for example: "It is eerily quiet at night. I wonder whats is happening everywhere else on the island." Would have been better if it had been turned into 'It is eerily quite at night, and I can't help but wonder about what is happening everywhere else on the island'). Also, you seemed to repeat what you just said (especially in the second paragraph). For example, "...not real but I am not really sure. The 'littluns' really think so and I am beginning to wonder so myself" was really just one idea: 'The littluns think the monster is real, but I am not so sure'. Reading everything thoroughly will easily clear these mistakes.

    Your response to the entry was good, but it just needed more detail. Why was this exact time critical to the story line, and why was this character vital to the story. What kind of part does he play on the island? How did you come up with the predictions for the story?

    All in all, you did a good job; you wrote a very good journal entry and you responded quite well to it.

    ReplyDelete