Thursday, April 4, 2013

Jack's Journal


         I have been at this school for half a year now, but that doesn't mean I have grown to like it any much better. The teachers are horrid and always send me to see the dean. They believe I have "behavior" problems but I honestly think it only means that I am right and they have no idea how to respond to what I have to say. I don't even know why they let these idiots teach here, they might as well hire me. The dean is now threatening to kick me out of the choir. Can you imagine the choir without me? They would sound worse than nails against a chalkboard!
   
        The only slightly great thing at this school is the choir and it is probably the only reason I haven't made father switch me to another school yet. They made me assistant choirmaster today, so basically when Sir is gone, I am in charge. I don't understand why they didn't promote me earlier, as I am clearly the best singer there but I guess Johnson didn't want to give up the spot. Well Johnson had an 'accident' and fell down the stairs this morning and cracked his skull. He isn't very serious, but he won't be back to school for a good 4 months and by then the school year will be over and he would have graduated. He swears that I had pushed him down but the doctors said that one of the side affects of brain damage is that his brain might recreate false scenarios so no one will actually believe him. That sucks for him but the good thing is that with him gone, there is no one else to really challenge my place in the choir.
      

        When I first came to this school, everyone thought I was a scrawny little kid who could be messed with. Then one day I got in an argument with and upperclassmen and he didn't think I would be able to be chose for the choir.  I decided that the only way I could prove myself at this school was if I managed to get in the boys choir. However still people didn't really take my authority seriously. Now that I am choirmaster I think that people will really respect me more. I mean I have earned it haven't I? I finally proved to everyone that I was good for something. The new power I have is exhilarating and intoxicating at the same time, but in a good way. I will no longer be looked down on and father might finally be proud at me for once.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   
         Jack is the primary antagonist of this story. Although at first he does not come off as evil or sinister, as the novel continues, his behavior becomes more erratic and hostile. Through the conflicts that have arose on the island, Jack's ability to co-operate is tested to the point where one day, he finally breaks. I think that his change in personality is not just the result of his tie on the island. I believe it his character traits have always been there as a child even, but it was only when chaos broke out, that he stopped caring. He figured out that he no longer had to pretend to be civil. Years of anger within him broke out and after that, no one could redeem him to the boy he once was.
   
 I chose to write this journal entry from before Jack's experiences on the island. This journal entry is from when he first became leader of the school choir and got a taste of power. I tried to show in my writing how  even early on in his school years, Jack began to show hints of malice and his disobedience for authority. At that time, he was not completely cruel as he still had to abide society's rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment