Thursday, April 4, 2013

Map


        This is what I think the island on which the boys were stranded on looked like.  I am not much of an artist, but I tried draw in all the locations mentioned in the book. In the novel, the island is supposedly in the shape of a boat. A boat is commonly the symbol of civilization. Meaning that this island was a fresh start and new hope for civilization. So when the boys first arrived at the island, it is undamaged but by the time Ralph is rescued, the island is wrecked.

       Piggy's death not only symbolized the end of order, but it also showed how the island really changed the boys as the boy's behaviors grew more and more erratic. The first time a boy, Simon, was killed, it was because of excitement and adrenaline, but it was still an accident. The second time, when Piggy, died, it was because Roger no longer cared about rules. It didn't matter to him what the consequences were because he realized no one could punish him.

       Many places on the island are tainted by murder and split blood. Simon was killed after being attacked and falling over the cliffs and Piggy is murdered at Castle Rock which Jack later turned into his fortress. The scar, which is a damaged strip of land where the plane crashed and there is the beach which became dirty and stinky as the boys cared less and less about personal hygiene.

      This map gives you a visual representation of  the island, so when you read descriptions of it in the book, you have a sense of direction. It is easier to visualize the description from the text because now you have a picture to base it off of. The map also somewhat shows how secluded the island really is. There are no buildings no harbor, nothing, just land.

     

3 comments:

  1. Hey Susan,
    It's Neloy, and I just wanted to say I bet you were being modest when you said "I am not much of an artist" because let me tell you girl, if you drew that, that is clearly great. Since I read the book, I know what is on the island, and where what happened. When seeing your map, I believe that I would have drawn something very similar to yours. I loved how you didn't leave any location of the story out of the picture,but the only thing I could point out from the drawing is that it does seem rushed, as the labels are unclear in some areas, and it would have looked a lot better than it already is if it was coloured.

    Towards your reflection to the picture, I can absolutely understand what happened in the book, and that you can properly identify "what you drew", "what is symbolizes", and "what was done there" or "what was it's use". I agree with your opinion on how effective a map may be, and how easy it is to visualize it even if I hadn't of read the book. I also liked how you added how you feel about the physical island itself, as you called it "secluded" which too, I agree with. If I may, while I read your post, I noticed some typing and grammatical errors, as feedback I would suggest you look over your work, before you get it marked. Nevertheless, this post was great, and I hope your other posts may be as good or even better than this one. Good job Susan!

    Good Luck on the rest of your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, today I chose to read about your map. What attracted me to it in the first place was the beautifully drawn depiction of the island. I think that you did a very good job explaining how your knowledge of the book was deepened but, I think you could have spoken more about the connections between the events/places and their relevance in the book. For example you could have spoken about the relevance of Piggy’s death spot and how it affected the way the story progressed (did his death effect the outcome of the book a lot, or just barely and what events took place because of his death?). These two are just examples of the many questions that when answered can take your blog to the next level. I also felt that if you were to connect other events like you did with the island’s shape it would intrigue even the stingiest of readers to give your blog a try.
    Secondly I believe that the reef that you drew was meant to surround the whole island. At the start of the book it was mentioned that every side of the island was barred off by the reef except for one, which is why it felt as a sort of barrier. Next, I also noticed that you didn’t include the part about why you chose to draw this location from the book; this piece of information could have tied in with your final paragraph. If I were in your position I would have wrote that the island is probably the most important place in the whole book, because that is where all the locations and events are/took place. You could have done anything along these lines to fulfil the requirement.
    I felt that your opinions were very well thought out; I also think that the island is very secluded, (Not seen or visited by many people; sheltered and private. Synonyms: solitary - isolated - lonely - retired) the island probably had no inhabitants at all until the boys crashed there. Speaking about the physical characteristics of the island, takes your entry above the requirements.
    Finally I would have liked to see you use more transition words like also, firstly, on the other hand, and finally, doing this would have helped the entry flow even better than it does now. Lastly, before you hand in your project I would suggest you proof read it one last time. All in all Susan, reading this entry was probably the best part of my day, well done.

    ReplyDelete