Thursday, April 4, 2013

Piggy's Journal

       The island is a mess! None of the boys want to do any work. Jack just wants to hunt all day and the 'littlus' just want to play. Alas, there are still so many things we have to do. We have to build shelters, keep the fire going and  keep our selves well organised. How else are we going to get rescued? There is no time to run off and play in the forests as Jack so often wishes to do. 

       I thought that on this island, I would have a fresh start. Nobody knew who I was so I might actually be able to make friends. I was wrong, everything is still the same as before. I thought I could trust Ralph when I told him that people used to call me Piggy but he was just like everyone else. He told everyone and now once again, I am an outsider. I know that I am overweight and with my asthma and poor eyesight, I don't have what it takes to be a hunter but they don't even let me go with them to explore and instead make me some kind of babysitter. Then they have the nerve to say that the disorganization is my fault.  Ralph tries to help sometimes, but he is constantly arguing with Jack. Them two never stop really, it seems like they always have something to disagree over. 

     There is so much we could do on this island. We don't need adults to survive, but if only the others listened to me. I think Ralph hears what I have to say but it really is only half-hearted and just stares at me after. The other day I said we should find a way to keep track of time and the days and Ralph completely rejected the idea. I read somewhere that it was important to keep track of time as then you have something to hold onto. That is why I am writing things down. It keeps me occupied too and it will help me remember, If you can forget how long you have been on the island, how long is it before you forget everything? 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 This journal entry is of Piggy is from the beginning of the novel. Before the climax of the story. I chose Piggy because he is exactly what and adult in the eyes of a child is. He has rules and ideas that are so foreign to the rest of the children. Most of the time, we see Piggy as an adult figure but all the same, he is still as a child. He has these great ideas, but he can't get the others to listen. This causes him frustration and he expresses this by whining or complaining. Of course the other boys only find this annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment